Thursday, March 1, 2012

Facebook

I admit it, I love Facebook.  I usually live under a rock or just in my head, so it's hard to keep up on things, people, and jokes.  I seriously spend more time on it looking at the funny memes.
Anyway, today I'm loving it because of the news I get.  I've been more active in signing petitions, sharing hopes and failures in the political and natural, as well as, well, being an active member of society.

Today I want to share some happy things I found in my feed.  The small things we do ALWAYS help!


Minneapolis zoning changes would expand gardening options
When I saw this article I seriously thought it was about climate zoning.  They are changing the zones so any food you grow on your property, within city limits, can be sold.

By Karen Boros | 02/29/12

If one of your dreams has been to leave city life behind and move to the country where you could have a serious garden, I have good news. Country living could be coming to your backyard in Minneapolis.
The gardening options under consideration include everything from keeping honeybees to establishing urban farms that include community gardens, composting, farm stands, hoop houses and market gardens.
Minneapolis now prohibits growing food as a business in a city yard, but that would change with a series of proposed new zoning rules.
“I would like to see someday where somebody is getting their livelihood off this,” said Council Member Cam Gordon, who, along with his staff, spent the winter talking to gardeners about what they need to be more productive in an urban setting.



The Pedal-A-Watt Stationary Bike Power Generator
Apparently this little device was shown during the Super Bowl.  Using a regular bike in good condition and the calorie-burning power of perpetual motion you can now charge a 400 watt/35 volt generator.  This is enough to power small appliances.

The Pedal-A-Watt bicycle stand keeps the user fit while creating power that may be used to power lights and/or other small appliances.
Any bicycle that is in good shape will work with the Pedal-a-Watt Stand as the stand adjusts to fit any wheel size including children's bikes.
The average rider will produce between 125 and 300 watts using the Pedal-a-Watt. While this may not seem like much power, many pieces of equipment draw very little power and can be powered for long spans of time with small amounts of power. For example, a laptop only draws 70 watts so one 20 minute workout could run the laptop for over an hour.


Price seems a bit steep to me ($339.00), but I have no idea how much such things cost.  It's worth a look-see.                                                     continue to article...


Recycle for Rainforests
The Minneosta Zoo is offering free admission for the price of a used cell phone.  March 1-16 get in for free by donating your old unused cellphone that day.  This is useful to keep hazardous material from our landfills, and you can go see the monkeys... awesome deal!


I don't know about you, but I'm hoping to do this for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment